Request Demo
June 19, 2019

The Feminine Care Category on Amazon Struggles With Availability Issues

From a marketing perspective, Always is dominating the feminine care category on Amazon in a big way. However, Always stumbles on revenue leakage where it cedes the leadership position to a handful of six brands.


This BrandIQ Quadrant benchmarks brand performance by the critical disciplines of supply chain operations and marketing. Who is best able to both drive and fulfill demand on Amazon in this category? The metric that underpins marketing is Share of Voice (how often your brand appears in organic or paid search results), and for operations it’s revenue leakage (how well are you able to avoid losing sales because shoppers are unable to buy your product because it’s unavailable, lost buy box to 3Ps, etc.). Given Amazon’s ever-increasing complexity and speed, mastering both is not simple.

Large Leakers



Always (Procter & Gamble) has a dominant share of voice in this category and is in the top 1% when compared to the 1,000+ Amazon brands we’ve analyzed. Always has a 2x advantage over its nearest competitor in this category for both organic and paid share of voice. It’s excelling at generating demand for its specific target keywords via advertising, and also using its organic rankings to automatically pick up a greater share of demand as more shoppers turn to Amazon for feminine care products. Impressively, Always is one of only four brands with a top 10 share of voice position in both paid and organic.

However, Always has a revenue leakage problem. Because it’s losing 14% (availability issues) and 13% (loss of buy box to 3Ps) of revenue to leakage for a combined 27%, Always has been pushed to the Large Leakers quadrant.

Niche Performers


Six brands reside in the Niche Performers quadrant with a fairly wide range of performance levels. The top brands with the highest share of voice are Tampax (10%), Poise (6%), Always Discrete (4%) and Solimo (3%). After that it’s a significant step down to the next tier consisting of OB (1%) and Vagisil (0.6%). Paid vs. Organic share of voice generally follow that same rank order of the brands, with no particular standouts.

For revenue leakage the six brands in this quadrant lead the category. Tampax is the only brand with moderately high revenue loss. Its 11.4% loss actually pushes it over to the laggards quadrant, but given its high share of voice we gave it the benefit of the doubt. Tampax primary struggles with availability issues where it’s losing 9.6% of revenue. Tampax is handling 3Ps just fine where it’s losing just 1.8% of revenue. OB and Always Discrete are in a similar position with light to moderate availability issues costing them 4.9% and 4.2% of revenue, respectively. Solimo and Vagisil are doing great with low single digit revenue leakage.



The Laggards quadrant in the feminine care category actually has some strong brands. Stayfree, Tena, Rael, Playtex, Cora, and Summer’s Eve each have a respectable share of voice above 2%, which is generally unusual to see in a Laggards quadrant.

Further, Summer’s Eve, Tena and Stayfree have only moderately high revenue leakage, on the order of 14.7%, 15% and 15.5%. All are mostly suffering from availability issues, though Summer’s Eve is essentially losing revenue to alight/moderate mix of availability issues and loss of the buy box to 3Ps.

It would be tedious to list out all the individual shares of voice. {{cta(‘dfbe99f1-5035-4f0f-92cf-3ee7360911df’)}} if you’d like to get the charts and graphs behind all the brands.


feminine_care_keywordsOur data was drawn from an automated, daily analysis of top keywords in the Amazon L3 Feminine Care category over a one-year period. Our method focused on 1P brands and their associated SKUs. Marketing performance was determined by analyzing Share of Voice which essentially divides how many times a brand appears in search results, by the total available slots in the search results. Our system looked at both organic and paid ads for the top keywords discovered for the Feminine Care category on Amazon. Our system focused on page 1 search results and the product page for each SKU. Each appearance of the brand in organic search and paid ad slots was given equal weighting. Revenue Leakage was determined by an algorithm that analyzes inventory availability of the SKUs on the product page and translates that into estimated revenue missed for each brand due to things like a SKU being Currently Unavailable, Inventory Encumbrance, Item Under Review, a 3P seller taking the buy box, etc.

Explore Other BrandIQ Quadrants

Unlock the power of Ecommerce Revenue Automation

Request Demo